FORMAT, RULES & PRIZES
The Format and Rules will be updated by the committee and will be communicated to you accordingly.
The Vietnam Golf Trophy will be played as an Individual Golf Tournament over 3 rounds, in a combination of 2 Formats.
The 1st Round will be played as per System 36 Format, but eventually scoring for the round will be done as per Net Stableford Points (described in detail, later)
The 2nd and 3rd Rounds will be played as per Modified Stableford Format and the scoring will be done as per Net Stableford Points. There will be options of Power Play in these 2 rounds (described in detail, later)
- Handicap Allowances
Handicap for Men: 0-24. Regardless of the handicap submitted, the maximum allowable handicap for men for this tournament is 24 (e.g. for a male golfer, who submits a handicap/handicap index of greater than 24, the tournament committee will limit it to 24 for this tournament). For the purpose of clarity, this will be the upper limit set for the Course Handicap, regardless of the calculation based on Slope Rating of the Course and Handicap Index
Handicap for Women: 0-36. The maximum allowable handicap for Women for this tournament is 36. (e.g. for a lady golfer, who submits a handicap/handicap index of greater than 36, the tournament committee will limit it to 36 for this tournament). For the purpose of clarity, this will be the upper limit set for the Course Handicap, regardless of the calculation based on Slope Rating of the Course and Handicap Index
The Players will be required to submit their Handicap Index Certificates as on 1st January 2018, from a recognized club/body prior to the start of the tournament and are also required to carry a copy of this certificate. (Scanned copy will do)
Course Handicap Calculation
The Course Handicaps for the 2nd and 3rd Rounds will be calculated as follows:
Course Handicap =
Handicap Index x Slope Rating (Corresponding Tee) /113
Rounded off to the Nearest Whole Number.
For Players unable to submit Handicap Indexes (due to non rating of golf courses), the committee has decided to follow this adjustment
Course Handicap =
0.85 x Handicap x Slope Rating (Corresponding Tee) /113
Rounded off to the Nearest Whole Number.
- The 1st Round as per System 36 Format
The 1st round in the tournament will be played as per System 36 format.
The System 36 format works as follows :
For any hole
- A gross par or better gives 2 points
- A gross bogey gives 1 point
- A gross double bogey or worse gives 0 points
- Maximum recorded score on any hole in Gross Quadruple Bogey after which player should pick up the ball
The sum of points for 18 holes scored as above is reduced from 36 to give the Handicap Allowance for the round.
The Total Gross Score recorded for the 18 holes is reduced by this Handicap Allowance to give the Net Score under System 36.
Based on the above Handicap Allowance, the Player’s Net Stableford Points will be calculated.
The Player with the Highest Stableford Points will be declared winner of this round and these Points will be included in the tally for the Points for the Entire Vietnam Golf Trophy.
As an example
- In the above example, a Player’s Gross Scores by hole and corresponding par for the Hole result in the points for each of the holes.
- For Gross Pars or Better: 2 points have been allotted; Also note that for a Gross Birdie on Hole no 10, only 2 points have been allotted as in this system Gross Par or Better only 2 points are given. So even if it is a Gross Eagle or Albatross and so on, the no of points resulting is just 2.
- For Gross Bogeys: 1 point has been allotted.
- The Total Points achieved in the above example is 17.
- The Handicap Allowance for the Player for this round is therefore 36-17=19
(Note: The maximum Handicap Allowance for the tournament is set at 24 for men and 36 for women. The same will be followed in this round if the Handicap Allowance as calculated above exceeds 24 for men and 36 for women)
The Net Stableford Points, will then be as follows: (Net Bogey = 1 Point, Net Par =2 points, Net Birdie = 3 points, Net Eagle = 4 Points and so on)
The Player with the Highest Net Stableford Points calculated as above will be declared the Winner of this round and points included in the tally for the future rounds.
- The 2nd and 3rd Rounds
The 2nd & 3rd Rounds of Vietnam Golf Trophy will be played as per Net Stableford/Modified Stableford Points System
Based on these Calculated Course Handicaps, Players will be scored for Net Stableford Points (Net Bogey = 1 Point, Net Par =2 points, Net Birdie = 3 points, Net Eagle = 4 Points and so on)
- Handicap Correction
Players playing below their calculated course handicap (based on Handicap Indexes/Handicaps submitted) will be subject to a reduction in their Course Handicaps for the subsequent rounds as per the following:
|Gross Score: Played Below Course Handicap by||Reduction in Course Handicap for all Subsequent Rounds of Vietnam Golf Trophy|
|> 6 Strokes||By as many as the Strokes|
This will apply to Round 2 & Round 3 scores from scores obtained in Round 1 and will apply to Round 3 based on scores obtained in Round 2. It is possible that a player’s handicap may be reduced both after Round 1 and further reduced after Round 2.
The minimum Course Handicap that a player will play to is 0.0 despite the reductions as above.
Further No Upward revisions of handicaps will take place during the Tournament.
- Power Play Holes:
In Rounds 2 & 3, Players will have the “option” of exercising a Power Play on 2 Pre-Designated Holes in each of the 2 courses.
If a Player exercises this option – a Net Par or Better, results in double the points. So a Net Par on that Hole, will mean 4 points, a Net Birdie will mean 6 points, Net Eagle will mean 8 points. However a Net Bogey on that Hole will result in -3 and Net Double Bogey or Worse will result in -4 points.
If a Player does not exercise this option, the points will be scored as per the norm.
The Players will have to declare their intention to exercise Power Play on the Tee Box of that hole, before anyone in their flight ( 3 or 4 Ball) tees off on that hole. They can do so by signing against their name on a form available at the Tee Box in the Yes or No space.
Signing off against the “Yes” Space would mean they have Opted to Exercise the Power Play; Signing off against the “No” Space would mean they have Opted to Not Exercise the Power Play. No Signature, would by default be treated as Not Exercising the Power Play.
A player can change his exercised option, only before the first player in the flight tees off. No changes can be made after the first player tees off.
- Categories and Competitions :
The Vietnam Golf Trophy will be Played in the Following Categories:
- Female Golfers
- Male Golfers below 55 years old
- Male Golfers 55 years old or higher and below 64 years old
- Male Golfers 64 years or older
All Female Golfers will Tee off from Red Tees, All Male Golfers will Tee off from White Tees.
For Each of the above 4 Categories, there will be the following Competitions along with the corresponding trophies:
- Best Net Stableford Score by Golf Course – Winner
- Best Net Stableford Score for Vietnam Golf Trophy – The Tally of the Net Stableford Scores for the 3 Rounds – Winner & 1st Runners Up
Additionally, there will be 2 Competitions for Closest to Pin and 1 Competition for Longest Drive for each of the 3 Rounds.
The maximum number of trophies a Player can win is 2. These will be in the order of importance (High to Low).
The order of importance for the Trophies is as follows. (High to Low)
- Best Net Stableford – Vietnam Golf Trophy – Winner
- Best Net Stableford – Vietnam Golf Trophy – 1st Runners Up
- Best Net Stableford by Golf Course – Winner
- Closest to Pin
- Longest Drive
- The R&A Rules of Golf shall govern all play
- Wherever applicable, all Local course rules to be followed.
- All communication regarding the tournament rules, format, scoring or any doubts or clarifications is to be presented to the tournament committee in writing or in email.
- In case of discontinuation/disruption of play due to Rain or any other situation beyond the Organisers, the committee shall decide how to proceed and inform the Golfers accordingly
ALL DECISIONS MADE BY THE TOURNAMENT COMMITTEE WILL BE FINAL AND BINDING.
- PACE OF PLAY
Pace of Play is paramount to this competition to ensure timely and enjoyable rounds for all golfers in this competition. Everyone is required to ensure that they play within the times allotted by holes and adhere to the times as stated on the pace of play placards which will be placed at regular intervals during the round and also to respect the Marshall’s indications for pace of play
In keeping with this spirit, it is therefore to be noted that a player must pick up his ball on any hole where his/her score goes “beyond” net bogie in which case the marker should mark an “X” for the hole as the score for that hole.
The tournament committee will be the sole decision maker on any penalties relating to pace of play (see points regarding penalties/disqualifications in last para of this document)
- PENALTIES IN STABLEFORD COMPETITION , DOUBT AS TO PROCEDURE AND PACE OF PLAY AS PER THE RULES OF GOLF
- If a competitor is in breach of a Rule for which there is a maximum penalty per round, he/she must report the facts to the Committee before returning his score card; if he/she fails to do so, he/she may be disqualified. The Committee will, from the total points scored for the round, deduct two points for each hole at which any breach occurred, with a maximum deduction per round of four points for each Rule breached
- If a competitor is doubtful of his/her rights or the correct procedure during the play of a hole, he/she may, without penalty, complete the hole with two balls.
- After the doubtful situation has arisen and before taking further action, the competitor must announce to his marker or fellow-competitor that he intends to play two balls and which ball he wishes to count if the Rules permit.
- The competitor must report the facts of the situation to the Committee before returning his score card. If he fails to do so, he may be disqualified. (RULE3-3)
- Any flight affecting the Pace of play adversely will be appropriately warned. For the purpose of preventing slow play, the Committee may, in such a condition, impose a penalty for a breach of this Rule as follows
- First offence – Deduction of one point from the total points scored for the round for each of the competitors in the flight;
- Second offence – Deduction of a further two points from the total points scored for the round for each of the competitors in the flight;
- For subsequent offence – Disqualification
DECISION AS TO WHETHER THE PACE OF PLAY IS UNACCEPTABLE WILL BE DECIDED BY THE TOURNAMENT COMMITTEE BASED ON INPUTS FROM THE RESPECTIVE COURSE MARSHALLS
NOTE: ALL DECISIONS MADE BY THE TOURNAMENT COMMITTEE WILL BE FINAL AND BINDING.
THE TOURNAMENT COMMITTEE RESERVES THE RIGHT TO MAKE CHANGES TO THE FORMAT ETC AND ANNOUNCE THE SAME BEFORE THE COMMENCEMENT OF THE TOURNAMENT.